Founded in 1909 by the Dominican Sisters and called the Benoni Dominican Convent, St Columba’s School is one of the oldest schools on the reef and features several historical buildings. In 1983 the school changed its name to St Columba’s, reflecting the fine tradition of religious education and culture and a new era in meeting the educational requirements of the community.
Throughout the years the school has worked hard to maintain its mission of excellence. The curriculum is exceptionally well rounded, reflecting a balance of academic, cultural, sporting and religious education.
St Columba’s School provides a continuity of education from 3 years of age right through to Grade 7. From early Pre-Primary, which puts the child in a “Big School” environment and introduces them to a broad spectrum of learning skills, to Senior Primary where they are prepared for Secondary school, the continuity of the child’s education is assured.
St Columba’s is proud of its tradition of achievement. Many of our students go on to become prefects and head boys and girls at their chosen secondary schools. Academic levels are exceptionally high as well year after year our Grade 7 pupils achieve a 100% pass rate.
Although a Catholic school, St Columba’s welcomes pupils of all religions and cultures. The religious environment provides a high standard of education in a caring and compassionate atmosphere. Our dedicated staff believe in developing a warm and caring approach to each child and their individual development. Children are taught to be polite and respectful, and at the same time are challenged to become individuals and achievers. Small classes ensure individual attention for each child, and a teacher-pupil relationship that provides greater opportunities for academic and social development.